What is Lighting Retrofit?
In recent years, the lighting industry has seen many positive changes as a result of the growing need for environmentally friendly lighting technology. The result is lighting retrofit, a process for making a lighting system more energy efficient by replacing certain parts and components.
These upgrades are quick, easy, and convenient, and serve to improve the system’s sustainability while reducing overhead. Lighting retrofit also eliminates the need to create a new lighting system from scratch, further reducing the environmental impact of the change and lowering costs significantly.
The Benefits of Using Lighting Retrofits
Lighting retrofits have a wide range of benefits, including:
Better Work Environment
Lighting has a significant effect on employee morale. Low-quality lighting creates a less pleasant workspace, while higher quality commercial lighting creates a happier work environment.
Improved Customer Experience
Many factors contribute to a positive customer experience. While many of these factors—such as clear communication and rapid response times—are fairly evident, others may be more subtle. High-quality commercial lighting, from the parking lot and storefront to the interior of the business, serves to improve the customer experience.
Reduction in Downtime and Maintenance
Frequent lighting maintenance can create unnecessary expenses and result in higher amounts of downtime due to building shutdowns. Lighting retrofit can reduce these problems, as the new systems are specifically designed for the environment in which they are installed.
Reduced Energy Costs and Improved Efficiency
With the potential to save up to 85% of lighting consumption, lighting retrofits create a highly efficient system. Installing new lighting, such as LED lighting, gives a business more control over its energy consumption and highlights the benefits of retrofitting commercial lighting.
Rebates and Incentives
In addition to saving money by lowering energy consumption, lighting retrofits are often eligible for rebates or other incentives due to their energy efficiency.
The Pros & Cons of Using Lighting Retrofits
All businesses strive to improve efficiency and productivity while reducing costs, and lighting retrofits align perfectly with these values. In addition to the many aforementioned benefits, retrofitting lighting has several other pros, including:
- Environmentally Friendly. The majority of lighting retrofits consume between 25-60% less energy than the systems they are replacing, enabling businesses to maintain their lighting while drastically reducing their environmental footprint.
- Safer and Easier to Operate: Well-lit businesses make employees feel safer throughout their workdays and while entering or exiting the facility. Additionally, high-quality lighting reduces the risk of accidents or injuries on the work floor.
- Boosts Productivity: Studies indicate that good lighting systems can boost employee productivity by 3-5%, while also improving morale in the workplace.
- Increased Lighting Quality. As they are easily customizable, lighting retrofits can directly address any current lighting issues to enhance light quality.
Lighting retrofits only have one notable con, which is their initial upfront costs. LED lighting may seem expensive when compared to traditional lighting; however, it is important to be cognizant of the fact that LEDs last longer, reducing the need for regular replacements.
Citra’s Approach to Lighting Retrofits
At Citra, we work closely with our clients to analyze the unique needs of their facilities and create a custom lighting retrofit package. Our Citra Solutions Development Process (CSDP) consists of the following five steps:
- Lighting Audit. Our team examines your goals for lighting and energy usage.
- Data Organization and Analysis. We compare your goals to your current energy usage and facility data.
- Applications Engineering. Based on these findings, our specialists examine a wide array of products to find the most appropriate solutions.
- Detailed Projects Economics. We will calculate your baseline power consumption after retrofitting and aid in developing funding options for your project.
- Detailed Proposal. After we have thoroughly completed the previous steps, we will craft a detailed proposal outlining the most efficient and cost-effective solution to meet your needs.
Lighting Retrofits from Citra
Lighting retrofits are an excellent way to improve sustainability while cutting costs. At Citra, we are focused on working closely with our customers to integrate high-quality lighting technologies with the following benefits:
- Energy savings
- Actionable business intelligence
- Operational efficiency
Our specialists will carefully evaluate every aspect of your facilities to determine the best solution for your needs. From design through installation, we will be there to provide expert guidance and advice. Contact us today to learn more about our capabilities, or request a quote to begin the process of retrofitting your lighting system.